[Libguestfs] Unable to build appliance

Sean McAfee eefacm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 00:22:16 UTC 2011

Hello--

I've been trying to build libguestfs 1.2.14 with the appliance enabled on an
older type of system at my company.  Getting all the required dependencies
installed has been an arduous process, but I've finally hit an obstacle I
don't know how to get around.  The final output of "make":

+ febootstrap-run initramfs -- /sbin/depmod -a ABOUT-NLS BUGS COPYING
COPYING.LIB ChangeLog GNUmakefile HACKING Makefile Makefile.am Makefile.in
README TODO aclocal.m4 appliance bindtests build-aux capitests config.h
config.h.in config.log config.status configure configure.ac contrib daemon
examples fish fuse gnulib haskell html images initramfs inspector java
libguestfs.pc libguestfs.pc.in libtool m4 maint.mk make-recipes.sh ocaml
perl po python recipes regressions ruby src stamp-h1
subdir-rules.mktest-tool tools
chroot: cannot run command `/sbin/depmod': No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [../initramfs/fakeroot.log] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/libguestfs-1.2.14/appliance'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/libguestfs-1.2.14'
make: *** [all] Error 2

/sbin/depmod does indeed exist.  I suppose that it doesn't exist inside the
chroot febootstrap-run is running in, but I couldn't imagine why not.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any help.