[Libguestfs] Trying to get started with virt-p2v

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Jun 24 12:28:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:10:38AM -0500, Greg Scott wrote:
> I need to p2v migrate a Windows server and I am soooo confused!

I've updated the web site here:

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v/

> By now, I've done a few virt-v2v migrations, so I get how that works.  I
> attended Richard and Matthew's Red Hat Summit talk about virt-p2v and
> just now downloaded the handouts.
>
> If I understand what's going on, virt-p2v is pretty much the same as
> virt-v2v, except that the physical system to migrate from needs to boot
> from a live CD, so that virt-v2v can connect to it.  OK, makes sense.
>
> How do I get my hands on an ISO of this live CD?

You have to build it yourself using 'virt-p2v-image-builder'.

NOTE #1: Since Fedora 15 started to use systemd and this deeply
changes the way live images work, and since Matt has not tested this,
it's best to stick with Fedora 14 for now.  Running F14 from a VM is
sufficient to build the ISO.

NOTE #2: When we finally release this for RHEL 6.2, we will ship a
prebuilt ISO to customers from RHN.  Fedora users and others (Debian
etc) will still need to run virt-p2v-image-builder.

> Matthew's handout points to a new RPM called virt-p2v-image-builder.  I
> see there's a Fedora 15 flavor of this RPM - but it has a bunch of
> dependencies.  So I built up a Fedora 15 VM running as a guest on a RHEL
> 6.1 system.  From inside my Fedora 15 VM, I do yum install
> virt-v2v-image-builder. This installs cleanly and takes care of
> dependencies.
>
> Great, so now what?
>
> I found a script - /usr/bin/virt-v2v-image-builder and ran it (but first
> must chmod 755 to make it work).  This ran for a while and sat there
> like a bump on a log.  After a while, I tried ctrl/C but nothing
> happened.  So I did CTRL/Z and then kill -9 all the subprocesses it
> created.  I tried again, doing sh -v ./virt-v2v-image-builder this time
> so I could get a feel for what was happening.  It ran through a bunch of
> code and eventually blew up with an error, "Failed to find package -
> 'Rubygenm-virt-p2v'". What in the world does this mean?
>
> OK, clearly I don't know what I'm doing.
>
> man virt-p2v doesn't exist.
>
> But I found some online documentation here:
> http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v/virt-p2v.1.html

Please ignore this page.  It refers to the very old version which was
completely different.  In fact I have now made this page redirect to
the new site.

> This mentions a pre-built ISO on Richard's site, but following the link,
> I see a warning that it's all being re-written.  And the link to the ISO
> doesn't work.  There's another link on Richard's site that says all the
> download info I need is in the handouts from Matthew's talk.
>
> But I went through Richard's talk and am having serious trouble trying
> to figure out how to use virt-v2v-image-builder.  I'm not seeing any man
> pages for it and haven't found a writeup on how to use it.
>
> But why go to the trouble to build a unique live CD?  Maybe there's a
> new pre-built ISO available someplace?
>
> I would definitely appreciate any guidance.

Matt may be able to help you with the other questions, but I'd
definitely suggest using Fedora 14 and building the ISO.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/