[Libguestfs] another missing link in febootstrap; failing tests for libguestfs

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Fri Jun 10 10:15:09 UTC 2011

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> This is a bug in gnulib.  It's probably been fixed upstream, but it's
> hard to update gnulib in libguestfs without rewriting the ./bootstrap
> script.  I started on this a while back but never finished it, with
> the result that we haven't updated gnulib in quite a while (almost
> exactly 1 year in fact).

Hi Rich,

With the following patches, libguestfs now bootstraps from cloned
sources (via ./autogen.sh) using the very latest (as of a day or two ago)
from gnulib.  I did hit this failure:

    make libguestfs.pot-update
    make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/libguestfs/po'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../tools/virt-edit.pl',\
      needed by `libguestfs.pot-update'.  Stop.

but got past it by running this:

    make -C po update-po

Once I got it to build and pass "make check" I didn't try
to narrow down precisely which patch(es) made the difference,
so some of these changes may be unnecessary.
Iterating to find a smaller set set didn't seem worthwhile.

Here's shortlog output:

      build: update to latest gnulib
      bootstrap: use --libtool
      include config.h, even from examples
      examples/Makefile.am: link with libgnu.la for use of rpl_getcwd