[Libguestfs] supermin appliances and host connectivity

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Jun 10 11:01:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:55:26PM +0200, Joel Uckelman wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:
>

> > > Yes, I don't have udev running. Adding udev to the package list for
> > building
> > > the appliance seems not to be enough, as there's apparently nothing
> > starting
> > > it. What's the proper way to start udev in this situation?
> >
> > Have a look at how libguestfs does it:
> >
> > http://git.annexia.org/?p=libguestfs.git;a=blob;f=appliance/init;hb=HEAD
> >
> > The rest of the code in the appliance/ subdirectory is useful
> > to look at too.
> >
> > Rich.
> >

> I started udev with /sbin/start_udev, as in the init script, but that seems
> to have no effect ("ps aux | grep udev" gives me no output.)

The fact that /sbin/start_udev doesn't work is obviously a problem.

Does the script exist?  Does it run?  Does it give errors?  Are you
capturing all the errors when the init script runs?  Have you tried
adding 'set +x' to your init script?  Are you using the full start up
method shown in libguestfs's appliance/init?

> If I start the
> guest with
>
>  qemu-kvm -kernel kernel -initrd initrd -hda root -device virtio-serial
> -serial stdio -chardev
> socket,path=/home/uckelman/projects/lightbox/supermin/foo,id=channel0
> -device virtserialport,chardev=channel0,name=org.libguestfs.channel.0
>
> what should I expect the device connected to the pipe on the guest side to
> be called?

/dev/virtio-ports/<name>

See: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtioSerial