[Libguestfs] Fwd: Re: febootstrap in Debian

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat May 21 18:07:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 09:40:54PM +0400, Nikita A Menkovich wrote:
> By the me, I think this is not correct to use febootstrap in Debian,
> we have better application - debootstrap.
> And we should build image file with clean chroot environment.

The thing is, febootstrap is no longer like debootstrap.  It used to
be (febootstrap 2.x), hence the name, but nowadays it works very
differently, and it is far more simple, and works across distros.

> For now I see it downloaded packages with the _same_ version that is
> installed on the host, but by the me I use some packages from testing
> and unstable.
> And this try to download these packages from stable repo. This fails.
>
> And also it simply extracts contents from deb files, and do not run
> configure scripts.

... which is in fact the whole point of it.

Using debirf or (old 2.x) febootstrap was a constant source of pain,
and I'm glad we got rid of both.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v