[Libguestfs] rsync support

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue May 24 21:12:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:59:50PM -0700, Chris Willmore wrote:
> Has an rsync addition to libguestfs been considered? It would be
> great to have when copying the contents of a filesystem to a disk of
> a different filesystem. It could also be used to keep portions of
> cloned machines in sync. For example, I'm porting VirtualBox images
> to Xen. I sometimes make change to the source image that I would
> like to easily propagate to the Xen copy. DD is sometimes a bit too
> low-level.

I think this makes sense.  As a matter of getting changes in
libguestfs it's better to propose patches and APIs.  You could test
this out by adding rsync to appliance/packagelist.in, and then adding
some APIs to libguestfs (see [0] and example [1]).  Post the patches
here and we can review them.

Rich.

[0] http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#extending_libguestfs

[1] http://git.annexia.org/?p=libguestfs.git;a=commitdiff;h=4ffa2d6798f7a2bf0baec8e1084659cf6358bc31