[Libguestfs] guestmount error

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Nov 4 19:24:39 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 08:57:27PM +0200, Evaggelos Balaskas wrote:
> sorry for bothering you, but if you gimme some pointers
> it would be great
>
> # file /vm/images/archlinux/archlinux.qcow2
> /vm/images/archlinux/archlinux.qcow2: QEMU QCOW Image (v2), 5368709120 bytes
>
> # ls -la /mnt/
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Oct 26 15:31 .
> drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Oct 14 13:27 ..
>

> # guestmount -a /vm/images/archlinux/archlinux.qcow2 -i /mnt/
>
> warning: Unable to get device geometry for /var/tmp/guestfs.jmCrFb/root
> libguestfs: error: aug_init: do_aug_init: function not available

What version of libguestfs and what host are you running it on?

You could try a couple of things:

(1) Use:

  virt-filesystems -a /vm/images/archlinux/archlinux.qcow2 --all --long -h

to list out the filesystems in the image, then try mounting them
manually, as in this example, note the -m options which you will need
to adjust according to the output of virt-filesystems:

  guestmount -a /vm/images/archlinux/archlinux.qcow2 \
    -m /dev/vg/lv:/ -m /dev/sda1:/boot \
    /mnt

(The error message indicates you are lacking Augeas, which we use to
examine the disk image for the right mountpoints, so you'd have to do
that by hand.)

(2) Set the following envionment variables and run the original
guestmount command again:

export LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG=1
export LIBGUESTFS_TRACE=1