[Libguestfs] Virtio-win RPM?

Greg Scott GregScott at Infrasupport.com
Sat Nov 19 03:53:33 UTC 2011

OK - thanks.  I just now saw this.  Our P2V still blew up, even when I
put that .ISO file where I think it's supposed to go.

The Fedora docs say to do yum install virtio-win.  Should I log a
bugzilla about that?

Until RHEL 6.3, is Fedora pretty much the only way to make this work or
is there a better solution?  And if Fedora, is Fedora 14 still the best
release for this or should I be looking at something newer for a
migration server?

Thanks

- Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard W.M. Jones [mailto:rjones at redhat.com]
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2011 8:13 AM
To: Greg Scott
Cc: libguestfs at redhat.com; Fredy Hernandez; mbooth at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Libguestfs] Virtio-win RPM?

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 07:17:06AM -0600, Greg Scott wrote:
> I should have this in my head by now...
>

> I tried migrating a physical Windows host last night using virt-p2v
CD.
> It ran for 3 hours and then died.  I'll get details later from the log
> but as I think about it, I'll bet it died because I never installed
> virtio-win in my Fedora migration server.
>
> The documentation says do "yum install virtio-win" - but this is RHEL
> documentation and my migration server is a Fedora 14 VM and yum
doesn't
> find it from there.  Where do I grab virtio-win and how do I set it up
> on that Fedora system such that virt-p2v-server will find it and use
it
> during a Windows P2V migration?

We don't have an RPM for Fedora.  It wouldn't be possible to add this
to Fedora right now since we cannot yet cross-compile it from source
using a completely Free toolchain.  In future we probably will be able
to do this with mingw64.

The latest virtio-win ISO images are here:

http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/

Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat
http://people.redhat.com/~rjones