[Libguestfs] Windows P2V migration temporary recipe

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Wed Nov 23 09:52:48 UTC 2011

Thanks for this, Greg! I've put a couple of notes inline below.

Matt

On 23/11/11 01:15, Greg Scott wrote:
> These are the current steps we followed to set up and run Windows P2V migrations.  Note that development is proceeding rapidly and the versions of all pieces below will likely be obsolete soon.

> Windows RHEV P2V Cookbook  2011-1122
>
> 1.  Install 32 bit Fedora 14 as a virtual machine or physical host.  You will use this system to
> build a .ISO file to burn to CD.  Later in the process, you'll boot a source physical machine from
> this CD.
>
> 2.  Install 64 bit Fedora 16 as another virtual machine or physical host.  This will become your migration
> server.
>
> 3 - Download and install virt-v2v on both the 32 and 64 bit systems.  (yum install virt-v2v).
> Virt-v2v is a package to migrate virtual machines from one virtual environment to either libvirt or RHEV.  It
> also includes the P2V extensions.
>
> 4 - Download, install, and run virt-p2v-image-builder (yum install virt-p2v-image-builder) on the 32 bit
> system.  virt-p2v-image-builder is a tool that builds a .ISO file for source physical machines to boot from.
> Do this on the 32 bit system so it builds a 32 bit kernel so you can use it to boot 32 bit hardware.  Burn the
> .ISO file to a CD.  You won't need the 32 bit system any more.

When I get a new release of virt-p2v out, this should all work fine run
from a single F16 x86_64 server.

> All subsequent Fedora operations will happen on the 64 bit system.
>
> 5. On the 64 bit Fedora system, edit /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing.repo; change "enabled=0" to
> "enabled=1"
>
> 6. yum install and/or update libguestfs.  This downloads and installs libguestfs-1.14.2-1.fc16.x86_64 and all
> its dependencies.  (Much easier than downloading all the RPMs by hand.)

I think this update just got pushed to stable, so hopefully this step
won't be required after a day or 2.

> 7. Go to the link Matt provided:
>     http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=3531688
>
> and install Matt's temporary bleeding edge version of virt-v2v.

I'll get a new release out soon and this won't be required. 0.8.5+ will
be fine.

Edit /usr/bin/virt-p2v-server and uncomment
> the line setting $ENV{'LIBGUESTFS_TRACE'} = 1;

This is only required for debugging, so there's no need to do this as a
matter of course.

> 7 - Edit the target profile on the Fedora system (/etc/virt-v2v.conf).  This describes the environment to
> migrate into.  The .conf file is separated into sections.  Copy the appropriate section, paste it in the
> bottom, remove the comment markers, and customize with correct names of objects for this site.
>
> 8. From RHEL 6 supplementary RHN channel or other suitable source, download and install a copy of virtio-win-
> 1.3.3-0.el6.noarch.rpm on the Fedora migration server.
>
> 9.  Install libguestfs-winsupport on a RHEL 6.1 or newer system.  On that RHEL 6 system do:

That should be virt-v2v, not libguestfs-winsupport. Nothing in
libguestfs-winsupport is required on Fedora.

--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490