[Libguestfs] P2Vs seem to require a very robust Ethernet

Greg Scott GregScott at Infrasupport.com
Thu Nov 24 11:45:26 UTC 2011

We've had one successful P2V with a test XP workstation and several
failures with a Windows 2003 Server.  Both P2Vs use an old Storagetek
NAS for NFS storage for the RHEV Export domain.  Both use my bleeding
edge 64 bit Fedora 16 RHEV VM as a migration server.  Both boot from the
exact same same P2V CD that we built a few days ago.

So what's different between the successful source XP workstation and the
failing source 2003 server?

The failing source 2003 server is an HP Proliant ML110 with 2 hard
drives. I wonder what that ML110 uses for disk controller?  Probably one
of those low end HP fakeRAID controllers - or they might just be plain
old fashioned SATA drives.  The successful source XP workstation only
has one hard drive.  Are there any known P2V issues migrating source
machines with multiple hard drives?  What if the source server copied
the first hard drive but then blew up trying to start the 2nd hard
drive?  See below for the only footprints I can find for any diagnostic
data.

This one is maddening because it runs for several hours and then decides
to go belly up, leaving very little diagnostic info behind.

We've been chasing network issues - but maybe the network and
infrastruture is fine and something is going on with the source server.
How do we check this?

- Greg