[Libguestfs] P2Vs seem to require a very robust Ethernet

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Thu Nov 24 11:51:48 UTC 2011

On 11/24/2011 11:45 AM, Greg Scott wrote:
> We've had one successful P2V with a test XP workstation and several
> failures with a Windows 2003 Server.  Both P2Vs use an old Storagetek
> NAS for NFS storage for the RHEV Export domain.  Both use my bleeding
> edge 64 bit Fedora 16 RHEV VM as a migration server.  Both boot from the
> exact same same P2V CD that we built a few days ago.
>
> So what's different between the successful source XP workstation and the
> failing source 2003 server?
>
> The failing source 2003 server is an HP Proliant ML110 with 2 hard
> drives. I wonder what that ML110 uses for disk controller?  Probably one
> of those low end HP fakeRAID controllers - or they might just be plain
> old fashioned SATA drives.  The successful source XP workstation only
> has one hard drive.  Are there any known P2V issues migrating source
> machines with multiple hard drives?  What if the source server copied
> the first hard drive but then blew up trying to start the 2nd hard
> drive?  See below for the only footprints I can find for any diagnostic
> data.
>
> This one is maddening because it runs for several hours and then decides
> to go belly up, leaving very little diagnostic info behind.
>
> We've been chasing network issues - but maybe the network and
> infrastruture is fine and something is going on with the source server.
> How do we check this?

I'm currently working on getting a new release out. I can't say it will
fix this problem, but the new P2V client might help get better
diagnostic info from the source server.

Hopefully within the next day or two.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490