[Libguestfs] mdadm / Ubuntu 10.04 error

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Nov 24 19:27:10 UTC 2011

md_create: mdadm: boot: mdadm: boot is not a block device. at /home/rjones/d/libguestfs/images/guest-aux/make-fedora-img.pl line 95.

Looking into this, it appears the old version of mdadm shipped in
Ubuntu (mdadm 2.6.7) doesn't support the notion of giving arbitrary
names to devices.  Thus you have to do:

  mdadm --create /dev/md0 [devices]

We do:

  mdadm --create boot [devices]

which it doesn't know how to handle.

I wonder if we are assuming so many features of mdadm >= 3 that we
should simply test for this in the optional group "mdadm" test, and
disable if mdadm < 3.  (We would also have to change the test so it is
skipped if mdadm is not present, but that's a real bug in the test
suite anyway).  Alternately we could look into this more deeply for
RHEL 5 / Ubuntu 10.04.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top