[Libguestfs] Libguestfs & ubuntu 11.10 problems

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Oct 15 16:50:27 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 04:06:15PM +0300, KoDer wrote:
> HI, All.
>
> I face problems when try to use libguestfs in new ubuntu 11.10.

Hi:

I'll just say I haven't yet had time to play with 11.10 (hey, it only
came out a few days ago, ok!)

> 1) My current version of libguest (1.12.0, binaries taken from
> libguestfs site) can't boot vm with new kernel.

This isn't really surprising.  Because of the supermin appliance, the
binaries only work on the precise distro they are compiled for.  The
libguestfs-test-tool output seems to confirm this.

> 2) I can't compile libguestfs from sources:
>     make libguestfs-1.12.7 leads to:
> CC     libguestfs_la-virt.lo
> In file included from virt.c:38:0:
> guestfs.h:1737:51: error: unknown type name 'virDomainPtr'

This is a proper bug though.  You should not need 'libvirt-dev' to
compile libguestfs.  You can try installing 'libvirt-dev' as a
workaround, but really we should fix this.

[...]
> ../src/.libs/libguestfs.so: undefined reference to
> `guestfs___case_sensitive_path_silently'
> ../src/.libs/libguestfs.so: undefined reference to `guestfs___search_for_root'
> ../src/.libs/libguestfs.so: undefined reference to `guestfs___download_to_tmp'

... and possibly 'libhivex-dev' and 'libpcre-dev' too.