[Libguestfs] "make check" on ArchLinux: "This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU"

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Sep 28 10:27:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 06:58:09PM -0400, Erik Nolte wrote:
> I'm updating the ArchLinux libguestfs package to 1.12.7, but the "make check" tests fail in qemu with:
>
> Booting from ROM...
> This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
> Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.
>
> How does qemu detect the CPU type?  I'm running a 64-bit ArchLinux (without KVM) on an Intel Xeon E5420 processor.  I'm able to boot qemu's small test image (http://wiki.qemu.org/download/linux-0.2.img.bz2) and the libguestfs iso image test passes, but the make-{debian,fedora,ubuntu,windows}-img.sh scripts all fail with the CPU mismatch bios error.
>
> I added "-v" to guestfish in images/guest-aux/make-debian-img.sh, ran "make check" and got the output listed below.  I got the same results running as root and as non-root.
[...]
> [00069ms] /usr/bin/qemu \

This is the problem.

/usr/bin/qemu is an i686 emulator.  You need to use qemu-system-x86_64
instead.

You can change this either by temporarily setting $LIBGUESTFS_QEMU, or
by using ./configure --with-qemu="qemu-system-x86_64"

The default for configure is to test each of:

  - qemu-kvm
  - qemu-system-<hostarch>
  - qemu

so this may indicate that you don't actually have qemu-system-x86_64
installed.