[Libguestfs] febootstrap 3.x use cases.

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 20:31:06 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 02:41:36PM +0100, Carwyn Edwards wrote:
> >> What I'm after is something akin to a Solaris sparse Zone.
>
> > At one point I was going to write a virtio 9p extension to qemu to do
> > this.
>
> This sounds interesting, could you elaborate a little? 9p? We're using
> a lot of KVM and libguest FS here besides this web hosting
> requirement.

virtio-9p (the plan 9 filesystem over virtio) is a way to export the
host filesystem to qemu guests.  We could use this to export the
appliance to guests (instead of building a disk image).  Except that
it's not really flexible enough in its current state.  We would need
some sort of config file which would let us control exactly what
files, from where, get exported from the host, and what host files get
replaced.