[Libguestfs] Suggestions on building VM disks from scratch

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 20:09:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 07:53:26PM +0100, Dale Amon wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 09:45:18AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > > Then I created my blank 'disk' file and tried to
> > > run virt-rescue on it. It crashed out with an
> > > error from febootstrap.
> >
> > First of all, debug this properly:

> > (1) What is the full error message?

[...]
> # virt-rescue -a recovery2.immortaldata.net.raw
> febootstrap-supermin-helper: ext2: parent directory not found: /lib: File not found by ext2_lookup

This is because you need to run:

  sudo update-guestfs-appliance

> > (3) What version of libguestfs & febootstrap are using and where did
> > you get them from?
>
> Updated from official Ubuntu Precise Pangolin server last night.
>
> 	Package: libguestfs0
> 	Architecture: amd64
> 	Source: libguestfs
> 	Version: 1:1.14.8-1
>
> 	Package: febootstrap
> 	Architecture: amd64
> 	Version: 3.12-1

Unfortunately we found out today that Ubuntu 12.04's libguestfs
package is largely broken.  For more information, see:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2012-April/msg00028.html

There is no solution to the kernel bug that affects Ubuntu (only).

[...]

Bit busy now, but I'll have a look at the rest later.