[Libguestfs] [rjones at redhat.com: Re: Suggestions on building VM disks from scratch]

Dale Amon amon at vnl.com
Sat Apr 14 17:12:18 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 06:03:37PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Whether the VM starts or not has no relationship to the kernel bug.
> libguestfs (including virt-rescue) boots its own appliance using the
> host kernel, which on Ubuntu suffers from this bug.

I might take it up with LKML then, because as you
noted earlier the Debian kernel has the problem
also, and Debian tends to be a relatively standard
build.

I'm wondering if perhaps the solution to my problem
might be to use virt-manager to 'build' a machine with
knoppix and attach it to the target. Or else pregen
grub1, grub2 and lilo VM's that can attach to a disk
on which grub1, grub2 or lilo needs to be installed to
the boot block. I fear it will require at least two
VM's because you cannot repair a grub1 host from a
grub2 and vice versa.