[Libguestfs] P2V: Error while converting Windows server

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Apr 6 17:04:38 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 11:47:11AM -0500, Ricardo Argüello wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to do a physical-to-virtual migration for a Windows 2003
> Server to RHEV 3.0 and I'm getting errors in the conversion.
>
> I created a Virt-P2V.iso using Fedora 16 (i686) using virt-v2v-0.8.7
> and virt-p2v-image-builder-0.8.7 instead of the 0.8.5 version
> available in the repos. The conversion server is the same server
> where I created the ISO.
>
> I edited the /etc/virt-v2v.conf file to configure a RHEV 3.0 Export
> Domain as the target:
>
> <virt-v2v>
>   <profile name="rhev-sparse">
>     <method>rhev</method>
>     <storage format='qcow2' allocation='sparse'>
>       192.168.1.11:/RHEV/export
>     </storage>
>     <network type="default">
>       <network type="network" name="rhevm"/>
>     </network>
>   </profile>
>   <network type='network' name='default'>
>     <network type='network' name='rhevm'/>
>   </network>
> </virt-v2v>
>
> I created the RHEV Export Domain and I activated it.
>
> I booted the physical server with the Virt-P2V ISO and entered the
> conversion server information. I choosed the "rhev-sparse" method
> and let the other parameters by default.
>
> The sda hard disk begins to get transfered and after some minutes I
> get this error in the virt-p2v-server log:
>
> # cat virt-p2v-server.1333661869.log
> virt-v2v: pwrite_device: pwrite_device: offset is negative at
> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Sys/VirtConvert/GuestfsHandle.pm line
> 203, <> line 6.
>  at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Sys/VirtConvert/Transfer/Local.pm line 271
>
> The transfer file gets deleted in the NFS export 192.168.1.11:/RHEV/export
>
> I tried changing the conversion method to "preallocated" by putting
> this in the config file:
>
>   <profile name="rhev-preallocated">
>     <method>rhev</method>
>     <storage format='raw' allocation='preallocated'>
>       192.168.1.11:/RHEV/export
>     </storage>
>     <network type="default">
>       <network type="network" name="rhevm"/>
>     </network>
>   </profile>
>
> It obviously takes longer to transfer to the conversion server, but
> after a few hour it gives me this error in the virt-p2v-server log:
>
> # cat /var/log/virt-p2v-server.1333670581.log
> warning: Unable to get device geometry for /var/tmp/guestfs.9vgHe0/root
> virt-v2v: Died at /usr/bin/virt-p2v-server line 394, <> line 7.
>
> Any ideas?

We're all on holiday until Tuesday.  However my suggestion is to get
more debugging out of the server.  Is it possible to enable more
debugging on the server side by setting LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG=1 and/or
LIBGUESTFS_TRACE=1 ?

The 'pwrite_device: offset is negative' error looks quite serious and
will almost certainly be a bug in virt-p2v.