[Libguestfs] [rjones at redhat.com: Re: Suggestions on building VM disks from scratch]

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Apr 14 16:09:24 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 01:08:20PM +0100, Dale Amon wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 07:36:24AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 12:20:00AM +0100, Dale Amon wrote:
> > > I might add that virt-rescue now gets much further
> > > than I have ever seen before... it shows a line
> > > [  245.032513]  vda: vda1 vda2
> > >
> > > before hanging forever. So it at least has gotten
> > > to the point of recognizing the partitions on the
> > > virtual disk I want to access.
> >
> > This hang is also characteristic of the ADFS problem.
> >
> > I don't think anything is going to change until someone fixes this
> > kernel bug.
>
> Is there more than one facit to this bug? The reports I've found all
> seems to say it is with a blank disk. In this case the virtual
> disk is partitioned and has a valid ext4 and a swap partition
> on it and only lacks the boot MBR and grub set up.

Although I can easily reproduce this bug, I'm not 100% clear about
when it happens.

Certainly, it happens with a blank disk.

Also, it happens with a disk containing a single partition that has a
filesystem on it.  It hangs, and then (240 seconds later) has the same
stack trace, so it appears to be the same bug.  Why exactly it should
happen in this case is not understood.

I've not tried it with 2 x partitions on a disk.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v