[Libguestfs] [rjones at redhat.com: Re: Suggestions on building VM disks from scratch]

Dale Amon amon at vnl.com
Sat Apr 14 16:35:17 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 01:08:20PM +0100, Dale Amon wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 07:36:24AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 12:20:00AM +0100, Dale Amon wrote:
> > > I might add that virt-rescue now gets much further
> > > than I have ever seen before... it shows a line
> > > [  245.032513]  vda: vda1 vda2
> > >
> > > before hanging forever. So it at least has gotten
> > > to the point of recognizing the partitions on the
> > > virtual disk I want to access.
> >
> > This hang is also characteristic of the ADFS problem.
> >
> > I don't think anything is going to change until someone fixes this
> > kernel bug.
>
> Is there more than one facit to this bug? The reports I've found all
> seems to say it is with a blank disk. In this case the virtual
> disk is partitioned and has a valid ext4 and a swap partition
> on it and only lacks the boot MBR and grub set up.

Then I have just now confirmed that this problem goes
deeper and may be different than what people have been
thinking.

I tried virt-rescue just now on a working VM that uses
partitions vda1-6, ie 3 primary and two extended, where
one extended partition is a swap disk, all others are
ext3 or 4 and the MBR is valid and functioning.

It locks up at exactly the same point. I'm going to just
confirm that the VM in question still works since I had
not run it in a couple weeks. I will get back shortly
with that confirmation.