[Libguestfs] libguestfs question - multiple partitions in the guest

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 17:16:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 11:47:14AM -0500, Shawn Kennedy wrote:
> Problem:
> When trying to inspect the guest using a command like 'virt-ls', we
> get back:
>
> ~]# virt-ls -d guest /path
> virt-ls: multi-boot operating systems are not supported by the -i option

What does virt-inspector2 [this is RHEL 6] display for this guest?

  virt-inspector2 -d guest

virt-ls fundamentally doesn't work with multi-boot guests.  However
that doesn't mean to say you can't use libguestfs, you just need to
use some lower level tools or write a Perl/Python/whatever script
against the API.  Have a look at the second example in the
guestfs-perl(3) / guestfs-python(3) man pages to give you some ideas
how to go about this.

By the way it's probably better to use the RHEL 6.3 package,
libguestfs 1.16.19, since it has more bugs fixed.

> Question:
> We know it's because we have 2 filesystems in the guest and
> we have no problem using the '-m' option on the lower-level tools,
> but how do we know which filesystem is mounted??  A simple
> 'mount' command could tell us that, but how to run it if I
> don't know which -m mount point to use??

If I understand your question correctly, then the 'mountpoints'
command lists what is mounted, eg:

  $ guestfish -c qemu:///system -d F16x64 -i --ro

  Welcome to guestfish, the libguestfs filesystem interactive shell for
  editing virtual machine filesystems.

  Type: 'help' for help on commands
        'man' to read the manual
        'quit' to quit the shell

  Operating system: Fedora release 16 (Verne)
  /dev/mapper/vg_f16x64-lv_root mounted on /
  /dev/vda2 mounted on /boot

  ><fs> mountpoints
  /dev/vg_f16x64/lv_root: /
  /dev/vda2: /boot

(or 'mounts' which does the same but only lists the devices).

Please send replies to the mailing list.  I hopefully deleted any
specifics of your environment in this reply.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v