[Libguestfs] "make distcheck" failure

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 16:05:03 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 05:46:49PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> In Makefile.am files, installation-related rules
> must honor the $(prefix) Makefile variable.  For example,
> in many Makefiles you'll find files being installed to
> $(DESTDIR)$(bindir), with these definitions:
>
>     bindir = ${exec_prefix}/bin
>     exec_prefix = ${prefix}
>
> Currently, $(OCAMLLIB) (set from m4/ocaml.m4 by running $OCAMLC) is set
> to /usr/lib64/ocaml for me.  If we could make it include $(exec_prefix),
> that would solve this problem.

I see.  Not an easy one to solve however.  The OCaml library path
comes from running:

  $OCAMLC -where

This is not an (especially) peculiar OCaml thing.  For example we
detect the Python library path using:

  $PYTHON -c "import distutils.sysconfig; \
              print (distutils.sysconfig.get_python_inc ());"

This allows multiple parallel Python installations to get along on
Debian.  The user just specifies the $PYTHON binary and everything
works off that.  So I'm fairly sure the same bug exists in some
Python, Perl and Ruby code in libguestfs too.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top