[Libguestfs] "make distcheck" failure

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Tue Aug 28 16:52:16 UTC 2012

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 06:33:34PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> Currently, if root runs "make distcheck", I suspect it would put things in
>> $OCAMLLIB.  That would be rather antisocial, but maybe you have something
>> to abort a "make distcheck" when it's run by root?  I haven't tried that.
>
> The truth of the matter is that we don't use make distcheck.
>
> The [not open-sourced yet] whenjobs-based release scripts build a
> candidate tarball from git (ie. make dist).  Said tarball is then sent
> to several build servers which './configure && make && make check' it.
> So no distcheck is required, and what we are doing now is arguably
> more thorough.

Glad to know that in some respects your procedure is more thorough.

However, please consider making it run a non-srcdir build and install
like "make distcheck" does, so that problems like this are caught before
release.  I would be rather upset if a standard test build+install with
--prefix=/tmp/junk in the style of what "make distcheck" does were to
deposit build artifacts in my personal (or system-wide, when run as root)
installation directories.