[Libguestfs] Trying to package Oz for Ubuntu

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 22:27:40 UTC 2012

[ CCing to Hilko who is the Debian maintainer, and the libguestfs
  mailing list. ]

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 04:18:20PM -0600, Steve Loranz wrote:
> Chris / Richard,
>
> I'm trying to get a package of Oz together for Ubuntu so that I can
> ultimately get an imagefactory package built for Ubuntu as well. I'm
> stuck on libguestfs at this point and was hoping one of you might be
> able to point me in the right direction.
>
> I'm working on Ubuntu 12.10 and the steps I'm taking are:
>
> 1) sudo apt-get install build-essential python-dev kvm libguestfs-tools python-libvirt python-pycurl python-parted python-guestfs python-libxml2 python-m2crypto genisoimage mtools openssh-client
>
> 2) check my versions of febootstrap and seabios
>
> ---
> Package: febootstrap
>  febootstrap is a tool for building supermin appliances. These are
>  tiny appliances [similar to virtual machines], usually around 100KB
>  in size, which get fully instantiated on-the-fly in a fraction of a
>  second when one of them is booted.
> Homepage: http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/febootstrap/
>
> Package: seabios
>  SeaBIOS is a legacy BIOS implementation, aimed at supporting not only
>  emulated hosts such as QEMU, but also real hardware.
>  .
>  Note, however, that SeaBIOS does not handle early initialization of core
>  chipsets, so don't even think of flashing it to your board (look at
>  Coreboot for that).
> Homepage: http://www.seabios.org
> ---
>
> This seems compatible with the guidance for Ubuntu 12.04 on http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html#binaries so far.
>
> 3) sudo chmod 0644 /boot/vmlinuz*
>
> 4) git clone https://github.com/aeolus-incubator/templates.git
>
> 5) git clone https://github.com/clalancette/oz.git
>
> 6) ~/oz$ sudo python setup.py install
>
> 7) sudo oz-install -d3 templates/web_servers/Apache/fedora-16/apache_httpd_f16_bare.xml
>
> This is where I'm running into problems.  Here is the output:
>
> ---
> libvirt bridge name is virbr0
> Libvirt type is kvm
> Original URL http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/16/Everything/x86_64/os/ resolved to http://fedora.mirrors.tds.net/pub/fedora/releases/16/Everything/x86_64/os/
> Name: ApacheWebServer, UUID: f22c6a4a-b08d-47f0-ab5d-eeb104286ddd
> MAC: 52:54:00:bc:d8:de, distro: Fedora
> update: 16, arch: x86_64, diskimage: /var/lib/libvirt/images/ApacheWebServer.dsk
> nicmodel: virtio, clockoffset: utc
> mousetype: ps2, disk_bus: virtio, disk_dev: vda
> icicletmp: /var/lib/oz/icicletmp/ApacheWebServer, listen_port: 53452
> Original ISO path: /var/lib/oz/isos/Fedora16x86_64-url.iso
> Modified ISO cache: /var/lib/oz/isos/Fedora16x86_64-url-oz.iso
> Output ISO path: /var/lib/libvirt/images/ApacheWebServer-url-oz.iso
> ISO content path: /var/lib/oz/isocontent/ApacheWebServer-url
> Checking for guest conflicts with ApacheWebServer
> Generating install media
> Fetching the original media
> [...]

You need to run 'libguestfs-test-tool' and paste the complete,
unedited output into your reply.

I suspect the problem may be that update-guestfs-appliance is in fact
not being run for some reason.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top