[Libguestfs] inspect_os error with Win7 image

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Dec 14 22:01:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 09:56:20PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> (b) for some reason it seems as if the SOFTWARE or SYSTEM registry in
> the Win7 guest cannot be opened, and I don't understand why that would
> be.

In fact the clue to this was in the verbose output:

hivex: /sysroot/Windows/System32/config/SOFTWARE: trailing garbage at end of file (at 0x245b000, after 8557 pages)

This error means that when scanning the SOFTWARE registry file in this
guest, we came across a page which was not marked with the 'hbin'
header.

As far as we know, this means the registry is really corrupt (or
something odd has happened, such as it's been zero-padded).

Since there's no official documentation for registries, we don't
actually know if it is valid for completely empty pages to exist.