[Libguestfs] virt-resize Fatal error: exception Guestfs.Error("e2fsck_f

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Dec 15 19:56:06 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 05:04:40PM -0000, Phill Bandelow wrote:
> Fatal error: exception Guestfs.Error("e2fsck_f:
> /dev/vda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>         (i.e., without -a or -p options)")

To try to summarise a rather long IRC conversation for the benefit of
history; what's happening is:

(1) virt-resize calls the libguestfs resize2fs API.

(2) The libguestfs resize2fs API will try to run e2fsck on the
filesystem first, since resize2fs in offline mode needs that.

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/daemon/ext2.c#L186

(3) e2fsck (ie. the host program) is failing.

(4) The failure is surely something to do with either the filesystem
or the e2fsck program or (not likely) something else.

Phill kindly supplied me with LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG=1 output, but e2fsck
didn't print any more information about the problem.

I would need to spend a lot more time looking at e2fsprogs and the
filesystem image to work out what's going on here.  I suggested to
Phill that he file a bug (see: http://libguestfs.org/) if it continues
to be a problem.