[Libguestfs] Test fails in arch linux

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Feb 24 08:25:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 08:50:12PM +0200, Nikos Skalkotos wrote:
[...]

I don't know specifically why it fails with ArchLinux, but the problem
is caused by the /dev/virtio-ports/* symlinks not getting created by
udev.

/dev/vport0p1 exists:

> crw------- 1 root root 252,   1 Feb 23 18:17 vport0p1

but udev doesn't make the corresponding /dev/virtio-ports symlink:

> /dev/virtio-ports/org.libguestfs.channel.0: No such file or directory

The symlink is supposed to be created by this udev rule:

/lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules:KERNEL=="vport*", ATTR{name}=="?*", SYMLINK+="virtio-ports/$attr{name}"

So I'd start by looking to see if that rule exists in the udev rules
that Arch is using.  Secondly if it does exist, is the corresponding
*.rules being copied into the appliance?  (Check appliance/supermin.d/
hostfiles)

In an old Ubuntu that has udev that predates having this rule, we add
the following patch:

http://libguestfs.org/download/binaries/ubuntu1004-packages/0002-ubuntu-10.04-Use-dev-vport0p1.patch

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v