[Libguestfs] unexpected end of file mounting vdi image

B. M. illuminatus at inbox.com
Wed Jul 4 00:36:17 UTC 2012

> I'm guessing CentOS 6.2.

Correct.

> The error is right there in the output:
>
>   qemu-kvm: -drive
>   file=/VM/Ubuntu-Media/Ubuntu-Media-Copy.vdi,snapshot=on,if=virtio:
> could not
>   open disk image /VM/Ubuntu-Media/Ubuntu-Media-Copy.vdi: Operation not
> supported
>
> qemu cannot understand this file.  It could well be that VDI support
> is disabled in CentOS, or the file format is some later variant that
> qemu doesn't support.

I saw that but assumed there was something else wrong.

> There's a newer version of libguestfs in RHEL 6.3, but the basic
> problem here is with qemu.

According to Red Hat virtualization documentation qemu-img supposedly supports converting vdi images, so qemu should know how to read them at least.  Libguestfs is not standalone?  So it requires qemu-kvm to load the image before it can mount it?  I don't find any reference to whether vdi is officially supported in RHEL 6 or not other than the qemu-img.

Brian