[Libguestfs] virt-resize

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 14:53:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 09:04:26AM -0500, Dan The Man wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2012, Nikita A Menkovich wrote:
>
> >For now, UFS in Linux do not support resizing at all. There is only
> >one way to resize: create new image, partition, attach to existing
> >freebsd, install bootloader, sync files.
>

> Don't think guestmount even supports ufs even if it is enabled either:
> Did a quick download of this read only ufs module: rpm -i
> kmod-ufs-0.0-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
>
> cappy:~# modprobe ufs

After downloading a kmod, you need to rebuild the libguestfs
appliance.  Just do:

  rm -rf /var/tmp/.guestfs-*

> cappy:~# guestmount -a /dev/virtual/freebsd -m /dev/sda2 /freebsd -r
> libguestfs: error: mount_options: /dev/vda2 on /: mount: unknown
> filesystem type 'ufs'
> guestmount: '/dev/sda2' could not be mounted.  Did you mean one of these?
>         /dev/vda1 (unknown)
>         /dev/vda2 (ufs)
>         /dev/vda3 (unknown)

You can pass the extra mount options to guestmount, so this might
work:

  guestmount [...] -m /dev/sda2:/:ro,ufstype=ufs2 [...]

Or if you want full control over everything (only available in
libguestfs >= 1.18), replace guestmount with a command like:

  guestfish <<EOF
    add /dev/virtual/freebsd
    run
    #modprobe ufs (?)
    mount-vfs "ro,ufstype=ufs2" "ufs" "/dev/sda2" "/"
    mount-local /tmp/mntpoint
    mount-local-run
  EOF

There are lots of configurables for each of those commands.  Read the
guestfish(1) man page for more information.

There are several variations of ufs, and the Linux ufs driver isn't
really that great.  I wouldn't trust it to do writes, at least not
without doing a great deal of testing first.