[Libguestfs] FYI: 'oldlinux' branch created

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 14:26:16 UTC 2012

I've created an "oldlinux" branch in github:

  https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/commits/oldlinux

The idea of this branch is that it contains patches to make libguestfs
work on older versions of Linux that:

 - *don't* have virtio-serial in qemu/kernel
 - have ancient autotools

Specifically we're targeting RHEL 5 (ca. 2007) and not anything older.

This branch is fairly brutal: for example it completely deletes some
bindings that I didn't try very hard to get working.

Notes:

(1) This branch is not fast-forward.  I will rewrite history at will,
particularly as I move patches upstream and rebase the branch against
the head.

(2) I will try to cherry pick patches that make general sense upstream
in order to keep the oldlinux branch as close as possible to the
development (master) branch.