[Libguestfs] Libguestfs question

Davide Barbato dav.barbato at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:35:30 UTC 2012

Sorry Richard, I'll explain.
As the wikipedia page says[1], "*File carving* is the process of
reassembling computer files from fragments in the absence of filesystem
metadata <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem#Metadata>. The carving
process makes use of knowledge of common file structures, information
contained in files, and
heuristics<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristics#Computer_science>regarding
how filesystems
fragment <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system_fragmentation> data.
Fusing these three sources of information, a file carving system
infers<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infer>which fragments belong
together."

I'm also interested in finding deleted files: I don't know how vmware
handles filesystem inodes, and if I can recover deleted files.