[Libguestfs] virt-sysprep future

Wanlong Gao gaowanlong at cn.fujitsu.com
Sat Mar 17 02:02:11 UTC 2012

Hi Rich,

> What's the plan for virt-sysprep?
>
> It's an interesting proof-of-concept.
>
> People love it!
>
> But it has several shortcomings.  As I said before, I think it should
> be spun off into a separate project, and possibly be rewritten
> (/bin/bash is a terrible language for writing complicated things).  It
> really needs to support at least some Windows guests to some degree.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Yes, I also think it should be spun off into a separate project, and be
rewritten. But I want you doing the splitting work if you have time, and
then I can try to rewrite it and do further works.

And I considered trying to use NBD though it. NBD has already used in qemu
named qemu-nbd, support all the virtual disk image, and the most important
thing is that it's much more faster than guestmount, because it doesn't need
to start a guest. But NBD client must be used under root, because it uses
/dev/nbdX, and need to install the kernel nbd module.

What do you think Rich?

Thanks,
Wanlong Gao