[Libguestfs] virt-v2v / virt-p2v

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Fri May 11 09:16:54 UTC 2012

On 10/05/12 15:42, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 09:55:05AM +0200, NEVEU Stephane wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Trying to figure out how virt-p2v works to convert an ubuntu. First,
>> I do not understand why do I need an ISO image to make it run ? Can
>> you explain me quickly ? Can't I directly use your source tarballs ?
>
> You want to P2V-convert an Ubuntu guest, right?
>
> Or run the conversion process on an Ubuntu host?
>
> Matt ^ do we support Ubuntu guests?

Ubuntu host could probably work. However, there's no support at all for
Ubuntu guests. This will definitely not work. I would be very interested
if anybody did want to write a converter for Ubuntu, though.

Matt

>> Having a look in my RHN account, redhat6.3 is not out so no ISO to
>> download yet.
>>
>> By the way, the provided link http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization/chap-Virtualization-v2v-migration.html  is 404.
>
> It looks like we moved it to a separate guide here:
>
> https://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/V2V_Guide/index.html
>
> I'll fix the link.
>
> The public docs don't cover virt-p2v because we've not released it in
> RHEL yet (will be in RHEL 6.3).

Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490