[Libguestfs] get virtual machine`s ip address

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu May 10 14:48:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 01:34:08AM -0700, THO HUYNH wrote:
> I`ve tried to install virt-ifconfig as well as virt-tools but failed.

That's good .. the tool doesn't exist :-)

> Is there a tool that can list all running virtual machines`s ip
> address like virt-ifconfig ?
>
> I`m using Fedora 16.

I use:

  arp -an

which effectively gives the same information.

I think there's a way to do this from libvirt too.

Note that the question is not well defined.  A VM doesn't necessarily
have "an" IP address.  It can have none.  It can have many.  It can
use IPv6.  It can try to listen to all traffic on the bridge.  It
could send out packets with random source addresses.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v