[Libguestfs] New tool proposal

Wanlong Gao gaowanlong at cn.fujitsu.com
Tue May 22 12:01:50 UTC 2012

> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 04:54:23PM +0800, Wanlong Gao wrote:

>>> Sure, sounds like a good idea.
>>

>> What do you think about how to implement the virt-diff ?
>> particularly for the recursive option of diff?
>
> It depends what you want it to do!  I'd definitely start with
> at least some notes about exactly what you want it to do.  Files?
> Filesystems?  Metadata?  Partitions?  Windows Regsitry?
>
> Note that you can already do some sorts of file comparison using
> 'virt-ls', ie:
>
>   virt-ls -lR --checksum -d guest1 / > files1
>   virt-ls -lR --checksum -d guest2 / > files2
>   diff -u files1 files2

yes, I meant files.
"
quoted from Kame:
I think this kind of command to do comparison between 2 guests is required for
private cloud system. System admin can find error setting by diff.
"

So, you means we can use virt-ls to list the different files list, and then
use virt-cat to see the different between two single files?

Thanks,
Wanlong Gao