[Libguestfs] New tool proposal

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon May 28 07:48:24 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 02:52:59PM +0800, Wanlong Gao wrote:
> I looked into this, now Rich, I have a more question,
> if we doing like
> virt-diff --seed Guest0 -d Guest1 -d Guest2 /etc
> We can mount the device of Guest0 to "/", but where the devices from Guest1 and Guest2 can be mounted?

The mkmountpoint call allows you to have multiple "roots":

http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#guestfs_mkmountpoint

*However*, this won't work for general guests, where for example two
guests might have conflicting logical volumes or UUIDs which are
duplicated.  It's simply not possible to safely mount multiple guests
in a single appliance.  The solution is to use two libguestfs handles.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v