[Libguestfs] using fuse with libguestfs

Skippy VonDrake skippyvondrake at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 22:48:22 UTC 2012

Upon seeing RWM Jones article "Using mount-local API from C" I became
curious because I thought there WAS a way to combine aspects of FUSE
with the tools provided by libguestfs. So if I wanted to create my own
filesystem using callbacks placed in the 'fuse_operations' struct
(parameter to 'fuse_main()'), I could do so using guestfs.
But after reading the article and looking at the 'guestmount' api it
appears that fuse support is limited.
Only the '-o' FUSE options can be passed and "only some of them are a
good idea".
So how would one use guestfs with a filesystem "made" with Fuse?
For example - using Jones module
'https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/examples/mount_local.c'
could I combine it with the Fuse defined filesystem detailed in the
BBFS tutorial (http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer/fuse-tutorial/)?
Or would that be a futile effort?