[Libguestfs] libguestfs 1.18.11 build error

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Nov 29 16:16:08 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 05:51:14PM +0200, Evaggelos Balaskas wrote:
> I 've just figured this out.
>
> glibc creates  a symbolic link for /lib:  lib -> usr/lib
> so yes this is a file (a symbolic link)
>
> ntfs3g creates an empty /lib directory !

So this is (arguably) a bug in febootstrap, although it might be
easier to fix it by removing the empty /lib directory from the ntfs-3g
package.

[...]
> I am guessing that the below lines from febootstrap source code
>
> 113       else if (ft1.ft_dir || ft2.ft_dir) && (not (ft1.ft_dir &&
> ft2.ft_dir)) then (
> 114         eprintf "febootstrap: error: %s appears as both directory
> and ordinary file (%s, %s)\n"
> 115           name1 pkg1 pkg2;
> 116         exit 1
>
> have a valid reason to exist and checks for this issues.

The code in general is designed to deal with the case where multiple
files with the same path exist in multiple packages.  This is a very
common case in just about all packaging systems; most likely pacman
has some code in it to deal with this case too.

The code should combine certain types of configuration files,
directories with the same path, and so on.

What we would need to do is to modify this test so it can handle the
case of a directory and a symbolic link to a directory.  There's
unfortunately no simple, one line fix for this, but it could be fixed
with a larger patch.

> in fedora ntfs-3g spec file the /lib under %files doesnt exist.
>
> I'll make some changes to ntfs-3g PKGBUILD and suggest the patch to
> archlinux community.

I think this is going to be the best way to fix this.  If ntfs-3g
isn't using the empty directory for anything, it doesn't seem to make
much sense having it in the package.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v