[Libguestfs] febootstrap and zypper

Olaf Hering olaf at aepfle.de
Thu Nov 29 20:18:23 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 08, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 08:50:47PM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 08, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >
> > > But out of interest, how are you creating this appliance?  I thought
> > > we'd ripped out support for old-style appliances from the rest of the
> > > toolchain ...
> >
> > I use mkinitrd to pull in all tools and run guestfsd instead of
> > /sysroot/sbin/init. This allows me to build the package automated as
> > unprivileged user in the buildsystem. Creating a loop file requires
> > root, which is cumbersome in the openSuSE buildservice.
>
> BTW, febootstrap (which is what we use) runs unprivileged and should
> be able to process SuSE rpms.  However it does require yum, not
> zypper, but that's probably easy to fix if zypper has a way to take a
> list of package names and resolve all the dependencies without needing
> root and without needing to install any packages.

I just looked at this.

Does febootstrap do some sort of unrpm? Does it call %pre/%post install
scripts?

zypper alone can not be used because it calls rpm, which does chroot.
It can however download the required rpms and place them into a
directory:

zypper \
        --verbose \
        --verbose \
        --gpg-auto-import-keys \
        --root /dev/shm/${LOGNAME} \
        --reposd-dir /etc/zypp/repos.d \
        --pkg-cache-dir /dev/shm/${LOGNAME}--pkg-cache-dir \
        --non-interactive \
        install \
        --auto-agree-with-licenses \
        --no-recommends \
        --download-only \
        kernel-default

So what do you suggest to do on a system with zypper/libzypp?

Olaf