[Libguestfs] cdrom device handling

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Oct 12 15:33:07 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 04:13:56PM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:

> Is there a way for the tools to provide a configured cdrom as cdrom to
> the temporary guest? Right now both disk and cdrom retrived from libvirt
> will showup as disks in the temporary guest.

I'm not clear if this is a libvirt question or a libguestfs question?
But proceeding on the basis that it's about virt-rescue ...

> This happens for bus ide and scsi. It seems on my test system the guest
> can not start from a scsi disk, but the scsi cdrom appears as scsi cdrom
> in the guest. So I think its maybe just a matter of generating '<disk
> type='file' device='cdrom'>' instead of '<disk type='file'
> device='disk'>'?
>
> I'm using this command, which works ok for me:
> virt-rescue -v -c qemu+ssh:///system  -d opensuse12 -r

virt-rescue should come up with the disk and CD-ROM as /dev/sda and
/dev/sdb respectively.  This should be enough to read the data off the
CD (/dev/sdb).  What else would you want to do?

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/