[Libguestfs] simplify debugging of guestfsd

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Sep 21 14:15:43 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 03:51:22PM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 03:40:35PM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > > gdb is certainly more advanced, something like 'var="gdb --readnow -ex r
> > > -ex bt -ex quit' ; $var guestfsd' would be good enough, or gdb
> > > --command=FILE.
> > > As you say, without adding debuginfo into guest the backtrace would be
> > > not that useful. But its better than nothing.
> >
> > glibc -- on Fedora -- prints a stack trace on exit, so we've not had a
> > need to get one out using gdb.  A core dump would be the really useful
> > thing for us.
>
> How does it do that, via a segfault handler? I mean, is that a private
> patch or something in upstream glibc?

What I said there wasn't quite correct.

Every C binary in Fedora is compiled with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 which
provides a stack trace when string functions fail.  I was probably
confused by seeing those.

But segfaults are not included in this, and they in fact don't
give a stack trace.

Doing
  LD_PRELOAD=/lib64/libSegFault.so
does cause all segfaulting programs to produce a stack trace.