[Libguestfs] hivex from python

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Aug 1 09:06:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 09:13:46PM -0500, Edward wrote:
> I plan to do the development in Python and I just can't seem to find enough
> documentation or sample code to really get started. If you could send me
> some sample code to perform common task or point me in the right direction
> it would be most appreciated.

Please send questions to the mailing list:

You don't need to subscribe.

---

It's not clear if your intended program will run in the Windows
machine itself, or if you want to edit the registry outside a Windows
guest using libguestfs.

Anyway, there is one example of using hivex from Python here:

  https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/use-hivex-from-python-to-read-and-write-windows-registry-hive-files/#content

This example is a little bit obsolete (but will still work), because
you can now use the hivex API directly via libguestfs which is more
efficient.

There are also some test programs here written in Python:

  https://github.com/libguestfs/hivex/tree/master/python/t

Using hivex from Python is no different from using it from C, so just
follow any C examples and mentally map them into Python, eg:

  hivex_root(h) ===> h.root

Here is the C API documentation:

  http://libguestfs.org/hivex.3.html