[Libguestfs] Fwd: libguestfs-test-tool error, libcap.so - no such file

Hilko Bengen bengen at hilluzination.de
Mon Jan 21 09:25:14 UTC 2013

* Skippy VonDrake:

>>> I still don't understand why after installing it on the system the
>>> libraries aren't linked up properly.
>>>
>>> $ guestfish --version
>>> guestfish: error while loading shared libraries: libguestfs.so.0:
>>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> Is /usr/local/lib in the dynamic linker path?  You might need
>> to add it to '/etc/ld.so.conf'.
>
> Hilko,
> Do you ever see the 'libguestfs.so.0' error?

No, but then I haven't installed libguestfs to /usr/local/.

On my Debian systems, /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf contains a single
line, /usr/local/lib -- this means that the dynamic linker will look
there (among other places) for shared libraries.

If the library is installed by hand, one still needs to run ldconfig (as
root), though because it uses some sort of caching mechanism. The
library packages built for Debian make sure that ldconfig is run
automatically on installation.

Cheers,
-Hilko