[Libguestfs] Ubuntu and ZFS

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Jun 11 16:10:39 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:28:29AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 09:19:58AM +0100, Tim Fletcher wrote:
> > Moved from Richard's blog to here....
> >
> > A couple of people have requested removing the dependency on
> > zfs-fuse from the ubuntu packages that Richard released last week,
> > and there is some confusion about the state of ZFS in Ubuntu.
> >
> > There are 2 Linux compatible implementations of ZFS, zfs-fuse
> > (http://gitweb.zfs-fuse.net/) and ZFS on Linux
> > (http://zfsonlinux.org/).
> >
> > ZFS-fuse is in the official Ubuntu repos but is rather outdated and
> > almost all development has stopped.
> >
> > ZFS on Linux (aka ZoL) is an open source but license incompatible
> > kernel module that is under active development and released as
> > source packages for most major distos. There is a ppa for Ubuntu
> > here: https://launchpad.net/~zfs-native/+archive/stable
> >
> > ZoL is actively used in various NAS distros, as well as things like
> > proxmox. I am currently using it as a backup target combined with
> > rsync and snapshots.
> >
> > ZFS-fuse and ZoL packages can't be installed together and so
> > installing guestfish which depends on zfs-fuse causes removal of the
> > ZoL packages.
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> I guess we'll drop zfs-fuse in that case.  I have to do another build
> of those Ubuntu packages shortly because they are vulnerable to
> CVE-2013-2124.
>
> Note this means that it won't be possible to inspect ZFS-using guests
> from an Ubuntu host.

Sorry for the rather long delay.

I have built new Ubuntu 12.10 packages here which fix CVE-2013-2124:

  http://libguestfs.org/download/binaries/ubuntu1210-packages/

Make sure you read the README file first:

  http://libguestfs.org/download/binaries/ubuntu1210-packages/README

Unfortunately while doing that I completely forgot about the
zfs-fuse dependency :-(  So now I'm going to rebuild them *again*
to get rid of that!

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v