[Libguestfs] libguestfs support snapshot based virutal disk analysis?

Alexander Nelson ajnelson at cs.ucsc.edu
Sun Jun 9 21:49:44 UTC 2013

I've used QEMU to read .vmdk snapshots.  The VM directory layout in my case
(Fusion, and I've seen Workstation do the same) created a .vmdk file per
snapshot, and qemu-img could use that .vmdk file and the base .vmdk to
convert the disk image to a raw image. IIRC there is a manifest file that
ties .vmdk files to the snapshot they represent.

So, from my experience, qemu does read disk snapshots in the .vmdk
format. It might need a little extending to also look for and parse that
manifest file, to treat a directory with .vmdk's as a snapshot tree.

Does this help?

--Alex