[Libguestfs] guestfs-examples

Khan Ferdous Wahid khanferdous.wahid at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 16:50:27 UTC 2013

Hi,
I tried to run the guestfs-examples from
http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-examples.3.html, but they gave the following
warnings and errors-
#warning: Unable to get device geometry for /var/tmp/guestfs.JVxEUn/root
#libguestfs: error: guestfs_launch failed, see earlier error messages

What I did from the beginning- I boot my debian linux (2.6.32-5-686) inside
VirtualBox and then install following packages there-
#apt-get install qemu libguestfs-dev libguestfs-tools

Then I created an image and install debian using qemu (inside my linux in
VirtualBox, i.e. host)-
#qemu-img create -f qcow2 deb.img 4G
#qemu -m 256 -hda deb.img -cdrom debian-6.0.7-i386-netinst.iso -boot d

Then I ran the vm using qemu in one terminal (inside my linux in
VirtualBox, i.e. host)-
#qemu -m 256 -hda deb.img  -boot d

In another terminal, I did-
#gcc -Wall inspect_vm.c -o prog -lguestfs (without any warnings)
#./prog deb.img
Then the above warnings and errors were generated.

Also I shutdown the vm, and tried to inspect the offline VM image (./prog
deb.img), but it gaves the error-
#libguestfs: error: guestfs_launch failed, see earlier error messages

I tried to run the "EXAMPLE: DISPLAY THE OPERATING SYSTEM ICON OF A GUEST",
but it gaves the same error-
#libguestfs: error: guestfs_launch failed, see earlier error messages

What is the problem here?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Wahid