[Libguestfs] How to use libguestfs access LVM as non-root user?

Qiu Yu unicell at gmail.com
Fri May 31 08:03:32 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:58:30AM +0800, Qiu Yu wrote:
> > Unfortunately, the standard 'disk' group permission only applies to
> > /dev/sdX device nodes, not to device mapper nodes created by LVM
> commands.
>
> Actually, it depends on udev rules.  On my machine device mapper
> nodes very much are owned by the disk group:
>
> $ ll /dev/dm-*
> brw-rw----. 1 root disk 253,  0 May 15 13:26 /dev/dm-0
> brw-rw----. 1 root disk 253,  1 May 15 13:26 /dev/dm-1
> brw-rw----. 1 root disk 253, 10 May 24 13:54 /dev/dm-10
> brw-rw----. 1 root disk 253, 11 May 15 13:26 /dev/dm-11
> brw-rw----. 1 root root 253, 12 May 29 21:29 /dev/dm-12
> [etc]
>
> You can add udev rules to change the ownership.  See:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev
>
> Rich.

Thanks Richard, you're right. I just find out myself few moments ago.

Actually I'm looking into an issue with OpenStack / Libvirt manipulating
LVM as an image backend. When the logical volume is created, udev rules
will set the ownership to root:disk. After libvirt actually starting an
instance, device node ownership will change to qemu:qemu by libvirt. Then,
if you stop an instance, the device node ownership will change back to
root:root. Seems there's some inconsistency here.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with the libguestfs. Thank you so much for
your help and the information! :)

--
Qiu Yu