[Libguestfs] HA: Accessing iSCSI disc images from the RHEV Manager using libguestfs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Nov 22 09:11:04 UTC 2013

[CC to Fabian - can you comment on the ovirt-node problem below]

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:02:46PM +0000, Исаев Виталий Анатольевич wrote:
> On 11/21/2013 05:56 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > When you say "cannot access them" do you get an error message?  Could
> > it be an SELinux denial?
>
> Yes, when I am trying to open some logical volume on the hypervisor side, for instance:
>     $ guestfish -a /dev/mapper/dm-xx
> libguestfs fails with an error message kind of that:
>     $ libguestfs-supermin-helper: failed to find a suitable kernel.
>     I looked for kernels in /boot and modules in /lib/modules.
>     If this is a Xen guest, and you only have Xen domU kernels
>     installed, try installing a fullvirt kernel (only for
>     libguestfs use, you shouldn't boot the Xen guest with it).
> So this is correct because hypervisor's file system is minimalist and therefore contains
> kernel files neither in /boot nor in /lib/modules.

Ah I see, this is a slightly different problem.  If this is RHEV-H /
ovirt-node then that's a bug in ovirt-node since it is supposed to
have a working libguestfs.

Can you paste the full, unedited output of:

  libguestfs-test-tool

on the hypervisor.

> And it is still not clear for me, how should I implement interaction between the RHEV-M API,
> which tells me what logical volume (disk image) belongs to the every VM, and the hypervisor's, to which
> all the logical volume (disk images) are mapped.
>
> So can I access the VM's disk images directly from the RHEV Manager in case
> if manager, hypervisor and storage are different hosts?

I'm not sure about this, but I guess the hooks that Itamar pointed to
before should work.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v