[Libguestfs] [libguestfs] Problem Connecting to RBD images using Sys::Guestfs Perl Module

Jon three18ti at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 10:59:49 UTC 2013

Hey Hilko,

>> I'm guessing that you're using Ubuntu, am I right?

Pretty good guess. :)

For the time being I'm using 13.10.  I know I've said it previously,  but
your right, I should include that info so I don't make people have to go
digging.

How do you normally deal with that warning? I typically rename the kvm
binary, then link qemu-system-x86_64 but my concern is that will cause
problems if I want a 32 bit vm... (I don't see a reason to run i386 these
days,  but I _guarntee_ you, I have a customer who /refuses/ to use 64bit
vms...)

>> The ceph package in Debian has been a mess until very recently

Really? I have no problems with ceph. Until I upgraded to 13.10, I was
using the opscode ppa; there are no 13.10 repis I'm the ppa...

Ok... I take that back.... Ceph::RADOS is largely incomplete,  and my C is
*really* rusty, so I've had some trouble extending the library... but other
than that, ceph has been rock solid for me since at least 12.04.

>> support was dropped from the qemu pacakges.

It's funny you should say that. I can't for the life of me get qemu-img to
create firmat 2 rbd images... but I think that may be a ceph config
problem, not an issue with qemu/kvm.

>> therefore its qemu packages have no rbd support
either.

libvirt has no problem with my rbds. It's just libguestfs that doesn't like
my rbds... unless I prefix the name of the pool with a "/".

I'm open to suggestions, I do most of my work in Perl with the expectation
my code will run on other platforms, so I'm not married to Ubuntu/debian.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards,
Jon A