[Libguestfs] virt-builder looks AWESOME!

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Oct 25 20:20:50 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 01:14:04PM -0700, Scott Baker wrote:
> On 10/25/2013 12:56 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > F20 - it's in the beta now (as of yesterday).
> >
> > Rich.
>
> Wow this has a lot of dependencies :) Two questions...

Let's put this on the mailing list so others can help.

> Do I need OCaml installed?
> Where does guestfs_protocol.x come from?
>
> I checked out the master branch from github and tried compiling that.
>
> Warning: Install OCaml compiler in order to rebuild the generated files.
> touch stamp-generator
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/libguestfs/generator'
> Making all in src
> make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/libguestfs/src'
> rm -f guestfs_protocol.c-t guestfs_protocol.c-t2
> rm -f guestfs_protocol.h-t
> rm -f errnostring-gperf.c
> rpcgen  -DHAVE_XDR_UINT64_T=1 -c -o guestfs_protocol.c-t guestfs_protocol.x
> gperf -t errnostring-gperf.gperf > errnostring-gperf.c-t
> rpcgen  -DHAVE_XDR_UINT64_T=1 -h -o guestfs_protocol.h-t guestfs_protocol.x
> guestfs_protocol.x: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [guestfs_protocol.c] Error 1
> guestfs_protocol.x: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [guestfs_protocol.h] Error 1
> Cannot open input file 'errnostring-gperf.gperf'
> make[2]: *** [errnostring-gperf.c] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/libguestfs/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/libguestfs'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

Did you start from the git repo or from an RPM?

I would start from the git repo.  First install all the dependencies
by downloading the following file:

  http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/libguestfs.git/plain/libguestfs.spec

and doing (as root):

  yum-builddep libguestfs.spec

You will have to comment out a handful of BuildRequires lines from the
spec file (because packages are not available in RHEL) until you get
everything possible installed.

Secondly, go to:

  http://oirase.annexia.org/tmp/libguestfs-RHEL-6.5/

and install augeas* and febootstrap* packages for your architecture.

Then clone the libguestfs upstream git from github, and follow the
`Building' section in the README file (all non-root).

You might need to do:

  make -C po-docs update-po

at some point half way through the build.  It should be obvious where.